Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pinewood Derby 2009



If there is one thing I have learned about myself as father its that I am a lousy at building pinwood derby cars. Not only am I lousy at it but I HATE DOING IT!!! Now I understand why Dad took me over to Uncle Lorins house to build my car back in the day. Building a fast car takes an awesome set of tools and a lot of patience, two things I really lack.

I told the boy's that when we started that there was little chance of their Dad building a car that could actually win so we were able to manage the boys expectations. The good news is they didn't come in last place. Trevor was second to last for the Wolves and Curtis was third to last in the Webelos. It's amazing that there are Dads that are worse at this than me.

This year was the last for Curtis but I'll still have to build two more for Trevor. I think I'm going to be buying pre made cars on the internet next year. We'll have the best car money can buy. Shake and Bake.

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

I quickly learned at our derby that as long as you aren't last it really doesn't matter. Looks like it was a success all around. And you guys get major points for style!

Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you brother, but if your not first... you're last. So you did finish in last place. Those are some ugly cars. I'm sure when Alex is that age, mine will not look any better. Funny how all these people working in the transportation industry can't even build a pinewood derby car. Jim